Heriot-Watt Computer Games Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heriot-Watt Computer Games Society

Where all Computer Games playing Heriot-Watt goers meet!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Treasury money.

Go down 
+4
Adam H
Richard
Nilocy
Coni.
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 6:23 am

I believe we should invest it in a wireless switch, á la

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-ProCurve-2626-24-Port-10-100-Ethernet-Switch-J4900B_W0QQitemZ330370723778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Hubs?hash=item4ceba12fc2

or similar. Obviously buying off ebay is not an amazing idea seeing as how the post is fucking atrocious at actually finding its way to our halls, but yeah.

It would mean that we could actually survive in Committee room 1, seeing as how el presidente is OBSESSED with moving us there despite the fact nobody gives a shit about gamecube unless it has brawl, which to the best of my knowledge it does not yet.

Yes?
Back to top Go down
Nilocy

Nilocy

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 7:32 am

Ebays fine tbh, I live 5 minutes away and they're good at finding my address. I can pay for it if the treasurer gives me the monies : D
Back to top Go down
Richard

Richard

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:37 am

I have a router that I'd be happy to donate to the society. It only has 4 ports, but it can be connected to wirelessly, so I don't think that will be a problem. In any case, we should probably try that before buying anything.

Also,

>gamecube
>brawl

Huh...? We do however have Melee, which is a much better game.
Back to top Go down
Adam H
Admin
Adam H

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 am

Screw commitee room 1 - even if we do get lan,
a) something will probably go wrong and we'd have to mess around with it - we already know the internet works in the canteen
b) better games of TF2, since we can have randomers + friends join the game to push the player count from a measly 7 at best (or at least the most that have come to the meeting + played TF2) to a much more fun 16 at least.
also,
c) no internets! That means no Half-Life: Full Life Consequences etc etc.

I do understand that many people in the CGS are console gamers, and thus do not have a good enough gaming laptop to join in the canteen fun, but I'd prefer it if we had a two pronged meeting rather than wasting money on something we don't need. Well that's my opinion anyway. Maybe some kind of vote will be necesary?
Back to top Go down
https://hwcgs.forumotion.net
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 am

To be honest, I do agree with Adam. At the moment even if we did move to CR1 I'd probably still be arsing about the canteen seeing as how my games are steam-based and warcraft.

As Laurian so eloquently just said, We love internets like sun raise.

Why do we need to be in CR1 anyway? Is it only because El Presidente doesn't have steam? Because that's a bad reason :<

Even if we did get mental console games and an almighty force of xBox merch, I doubt I'd care about it. Most of the good console games are 1 player or get boring fast (There's only so many times punting Kirby is fun, and Ivy gets repetitive after the 50th titstab).

Here's an alternative; how about we get an academic room (they all have wifi and I believe most of them have wifi that doesn't block steam servers), we use the money to throw a bitching party, and the console gamers all go and form Video Games soc? I mean, I don't know anyone in the society who doesn't have a laptop capable of handling the games we play, or one who doesn't have the games (apart from El.P., ironically). Is it because they just don't turn up? They can always have CR1 while I suckle on the mighty teat of eccnet.
Back to top Go down
Richard

Richard

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Eh, using a room for console gaming and a room for computer gaming does seem to be the simplest of solutions. I mean, we can already do both, just not in the same place. I can't think of any reason why we all have to be in the same place either. As for getting an academic room, I believe the secretary looked into it and found to be impracticable.
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:45 am

Raegface aside, that does seem sensible.

These are things we must discuss.

Meanwhile, what to do with the money we have?
Back to top Go down
Nilocy

Nilocy

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:07 am

Spend it on a load of alcohol?
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 am

But half of CGS does not or will not drink :<
Back to top Go down
Nilocy

Nilocy

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 am

Annnnnd? We can say it went to... paying the president? : P
Back to top Go down
God

God

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 pm

although half may not drink, the other half can and will drink enough for 2 pople at least, i know i got about 5 people covered lol
Back to top Go down
Vodh

Vodh

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 am

Exactly, the fact that half of the members don't drink only means that the other half will get twice as much drinks wich i utterly fail to see as a disadvantage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laurian

Laurian

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 am

Being one of the non-drinkers myself, I personally have no problem at all with watching the rest of you get plastered. XD
Back to top Go down
Adam H
Admin
Adam H

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 am

I think I would have to agree. As long as you then attempt to play TF2 against us drunk Very Happy

But honestly I don't give a damn on what you spend the money on, as long as I can get some partial enjoyment from it (watching you guys drunk playing games=enjoyment).

I'm thinking about getting a l4d2 server (remember all the hassle we went through to get a good server playing l4d1?) although it'd proabably be unfair on the none l4d2 playing members of the CGS for me to demand compensation in reward for full control for any CGS member. However, if anyone would consider going in on a server with me, I've found a site that will do an 8 slot server for less than 9 pounds a month (it gets cheaper per month the longer you order it for, predictably).

I'm going to check the ping on one of their other servers to see if its any good...
Back to top Go down
https://hwcgs.forumotion.net
Thy-Robocop
Admin

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 4:50 pm

I seem to have been missing in quite a lot of discussion over here, let me catch up with it.

I first booked Committee Room 1 because it was the only room that the Union could offer, and the only one that could be logistically convenient to transfer the society TV from the storeroom to our meeting place (that thing is heavy, and I don't want to be carrying it all over the University.), and where we could set up TV's. Since the society constitution is being updated, I don't know how to officially book rooms in the university and what we can actually do in them. I have also asked Adam to get in contact with the guys in charge of giving university rooms for society use, but that hasn't faired well. I will try sometime in the future to get in touch with the head of the Computer Sciences course and see if they could help us, hopefully that could get us on the right track.

Anyway, i have no problem in having people playing games in two different rooms, as long as this actually gets people playing multiplayer games, and not sitting around being antisocial (like me, until I get a better computer...).

As for how to spend the money, anything that is useful to the society should be be worth spending money on. I had a chat with some guys who were into servers and LAN games, and they seem to know a lot about it, so as soon as I get in touch with these guys again, I will try and find out more about this, and we might have our own server for LAN Games!

Hope this makes things clearer for you guys.
Back to top Go down
Nilocy

Nilocy

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Now, heres a thought to solve your TV problems, how about we get a AV/Scart/HDMI project? I know theres plenty of walls we can use, or just find a really big sheet or something and we could effectively have a portable TV?
Back to top Go down
Thy-Robocop
Admin

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 12:37 pm

That sounds like a good idea, but where do you get those?
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:50 pm

MAPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS.
Back to top Go down
God

God

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 pm

hmm i know somebody who has one, he cant use it as he aint got any good walls. will ask him how he feels about bringing it in sometime
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Let's not get too eager to spend it, though.

We might need to book a travelodge or two in London...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Treasury money. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Treasury money.   Treasury money. Empty

Back to top Go down

Treasury money.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heriot-Watt Computer Games Society :: Discussions :: Other things-
Jump to: