Heriot-Watt Computer Games Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heriot-Watt Computer Games Society

Where all Computer Games playing Heriot-Watt goers meet!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Adam H
Admin
Adam H

Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 am

As the topic implies, my external hard drive seems to be broken - it will not turn on. The problem is not with the plug, so I'm assuming that either the connection has been duffed up, or something more important is broken that prevents it from working. If anyone (preferably someone with experience with electronics) thinks they can fix it, please tell me. Without it, I can only fit about 3 games on my laptop Sad.
Back to top Go down
https://hwcgs.forumotion.net
Richard

Richard

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:47 am

Apologies if that was anything to do with me unplugging it... I could have a look at it for you (I am an electronics student, if that's any reassurance), but I don't know if I could do much good. Taking the actual hard drive out and putting in something else might be an option, depending on the connection (SATA or EIDE)...
Back to top Go down
Adam H
Admin
Adam H

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:57 am

I doubt it was your fault, seeing as it worked directly afterwards, and that I have accidentaly unplugged it a fair few times. The problem seems to be in the bit that makes the hard drive go. It's now just blinking on and off, and making a burning smell :S. The moving of the hard drive would be good, as I would be fairly pissed if I had to move all my files.

Not sure what connection it has, as I know next to nothing about electronics (my only solution is to check and see if the wires are connected).
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Adam; I have a HD caddy in my room which basically takes the naked harddrive and puts a USB plug on it. If you like I could take it apart and try and fix whatever is wrong, while simultaneously backing up any files from your HD onto my laptop, and to check if it's your actual drive or if it's the other bits of hardware.

My actual laptop drive stopped booting and I had to reformat it, and if it is connected to a running windows machine that is physically doable if you are willing to overwrite any files left on it (hence backup options).

These are all things that are really easy to do.

The burning smell sounds worrying though. Maybe leave it switched off for a while.
Back to top Go down
Adam H
Admin
Adam H

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:44 pm

That would be really helpful Coni. It's mainly my music collection that I want backing up (as the games can be redownloaded if necessary). I have about 50GB free on my laptop, so that's probably good for my music, TF2 and the L4D2 demo. Oh yeah and Borderlands. Everything else is at this moment in time unnecesary.

So I guess my external HD is at your mercy. When would you be willing to take a look at it? Obviously I'd prefer some time before Saturday, but whenever you're free is fine.
Back to top Go down
Coni.

Coni.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 am

Next time I'm on FB chat or something, shout at me to come get you with toolz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?   Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to fix my external hard drive?
Page 1 of 1